Ever wonder what a stylist does with her free time? Road test the latest trends in an effort to bring you the very best of the best, of course. Some might call it a shopping obsession; I prefer to consider it “professional development.”
In this spirit, this week’s “Friday Favorites” is dedicated to my latest market research. Take this season’s must-have color then add the of-the-moment shoe shape, and a match is made in heaven in the form of the Burgundy d’Orsay Pump. Pairing beautifully with all of winter’s favorite neutrals (black, grey, navy, ivory, and camel), the burgundy pump is the red heel’s sophisticated cousin. So deep and rich, I finally could no longer resist (because we all know I have a go-to red pump, as seen here and here). And in suede and/or pony hair, the texture and color combo are destined to make this shoe your new favorite as well.
1) Banana Republic: This is the shoe that started it all. I waited (and waited) for a sale coupon, until finally I was rewarded with 40% off! Awesome price aside, this shoe is a beauty (as seen here). Surprisingly comfortable for a high heel; the cut of the shoe is gorgeous. More ruby than a true burgundy, I was concerned that the color was too similar to my red pair. However, this shoe was definitely my runner-up.
2) Halogen: The price on this bad-boy cannot be beat (currently on sale!). And the pony hair is absolutely to die for. With a lower heel and a more subtle d’Orsay shape, this shoe can take you from conference room to happy hour. Unfortunately, for those with a narrow foot (such as myself), the toe box was a bit wide.
3) French Connection: I thought this one was going to be a keeper for sure, given the addition of the studs (which I am a total sucker for). However, the heel height makes these not as comfortable; in fact, their lack of comfort was the reason these were returned. Awesome aesthetic, but comfort cannot be compromised.
4) Vince: This shoe was by far the highest in quality (and price – although on sale!), the craftsmanship is reflected in the beautiful shape. A lower heel, these had comfort potential; however, the true two piece shape of the d’Orsay led to slippage on my heel (with blistering potential). Therefore, back they went!
5) Sam Edelman: A fan favorite, I have outfitted several clients in these pumps. The rich suede is the deepest color, and the leather detailing in the back make these a unique twist on a classic shoe. A sizeable heel at 4″, these are surprisingly comfortable. A great shoe at a great value.
6) Trouve: I initially stumbled upon these beauties when helping a friend shop for booties. At the time, I was demonstrating fiscal responsibility (a momentary lapse). As I began my hunt, I was reminded of them. In particular, I love the combo of pony hair and suede. They are surprisingly comfortable, probably due to their unique heel shape, which has a vintage vibe. So different than my other red model, I feel justified in keeping these. Next up, pairing them with my favorite blush-colored cashmere sweater!
I hope you have enjoyed my reviews and find your own perfect “burgundy pump” – whatever that may actually be. At minimum, you can’t deny my dedication to my craft!
Happy Friday and thanks for reading! ~Jenn